Quotes



The more that you read, the more that you will know. The more that you learn,the more places you'll go.

-Dr.Seuss

Monday, March 4, 2013

Humans Are Different

Authors Note:
I wrote this piece to show my understanding of point of view. I wrote this point of view piece on Humans are Different.


Your strolling along on a warm and humid summer day when some random person that you don’t know walks up to you and wants to be your friend because they thought you looked lonely, but really they just make you angry because you’re doing just fine and now they’re annoying you. This is exactly the feeling I bet that the human got in the short story Humans are Different by Alan Bloch. In this story is quite clear who is narrating this story,  the robot. From this perspective, a lot of events and characters are portrayed in a way that create the reader to have a forgiving heart for the robot and his actions.

In the beginning the robot goes off to do research on another planet and he finds a lone colonist who has lost all connection to other humans, and they become friends. One afternoon they were together when the human said he was hot so the robot checked his thermos-stat and the robot thought something needed fixing. The robot pushed the needle into the humans neck to operate the cut-off switch, and the human stopped moving, just like a Robot; but when the robot opened him up he wasn't the same inside.

In the story the robot made it sound like he was the nice guy but I think the human would have had something else to say about that. One example of this is the robot said “he'd forgotten how to talk—he'd been alone so long.” Once he learned our language we got along fine together, but what really happened? The human was actually doing just fine and on the planet he was on when the robot just came out of nowhere and wanted to be the humans friend. The robot was intruding on a perfectly happy human and the human just wanted to be left alone.  This is only one of the main ways that you can see the different outtakes a reader has on a story based on the person or thing that is telling the story.


This is a scene from the Humans point of view:
I was on my planet minding my own business living a content, peaceful life  on my own.  One calm afternoon I saw a light slowly appear in the distance I was scared because I have never seen such an object in my life, It was round, silver, and gigantic with smoke coming up from around it.  As it landed the door opened and out walked a green person that I had never seen in my life. After we meet  I thought he would be soon leaving but I was so wrong on that.  He began to bother me more and more as the days went on, he kept trying to make me say these weird words.  I was walking in the park and he annoyingly fallowed me, he saw that I was sweating and he asked if I was ok and of course I was but he said he need to check my thermos stat, I was about to say that I don’t have one but before I could he stabbed me in the back of my neck, and that was the end of our relationship, the end of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment